“The PGRO Pea & Bean APP is the worthy successor to the Pulse Agronomy Guide,” commented Roger Vickers, PGRO chief executive. The new APP will provide up to date technical backup as well as the RL variety guides and a new interactive pest and disease reporting tool via smartphone or tablet.”
- By using the APP users will be able to access Recommended List variety information for combining peas and field beans and the Descriptive List data for vining peas – all adapted for viewing on a small screen.
- A Pests, Diseases and Deficiencies section shows images of common issues arising in the field together with a written description to aid identification, notes on potential impact, and control strategies.
- A useful growth stage guide is included together with commonly requested tools for seed rates and weight loss in drying calculations.
- Brief notes and guidance to sources of information for other pulses and legumes are also provided – and will be expanded in the future.
- The most innovative feature is the ability to generate your own crop reports. Accessed via the Pests, Diseases and Deficiencies section, the user can take images and write a short report, sending them from the APP by email to others. The report will automatically be sent to the PGRO Plant Clinic where a request for advice can be lodged. Anonymised, the incidence/report will appear marked on a map of the UK on the PGRO web site enabling others to be aware of crop developments around the country.
- Another significant advantage is that the APP can be updated at any time enabling real-time notifications of updates and changes. This is particularly valuable for services such as the Pea Moth Alert.
- All of the content will also be available on the PGRO web site www.pgro.org in the form of Technical Updates and other publications – including downloadable print-ready Recommended Lists of varieties if required.