Kuldip Mudhar UK and Ireland development manager for Gowan Crop Protection Ltd., is expecting a significant increase in the area of Avadex Granules to be applied this autumn. “We have recently reported on the metadata analysis of all trials from all sources. These results ran from 1997 through to 2019, with over 700 data points spanning 23 years of trials. The data analysis included good and bad seasons, wet and dry conditions, low and high black-grass populations and differing weed resistance profiles. This robust analysis showed that over the past 5 years the inclusion of Avadex Granules increased the percentage control of black-grass by 16.8% across a range of base programmes. The application of any black-grass herbicides has to be very accurate and even, as it is such a competitive weed and one that is responsible for considerable yield loss. I think it is important to remind ourselves of the Do’s and Don’t of applying Avadex Excel 15G before the season gets too hectic.”
- Store granules at temperature not exceeding 40°C and above -8°C. Protect from frost
- Wear appropriate PPE
- Check applicators’ pipework, deflector plates and ensure your machine is accurately calibrated. Keep deflector plates clean and at the right angle
- Apply pre-emergence to well prepared moist seedbeds
- Leave 10 metre buffer zone
- In very dry conditions delay application until there is more moisture in the soil
- Make sure drilling depth is correct (4cm for wheat)
- Consolidate loose fluffy seedbeds before drilling
- Travel at appropriate speeds as defined by individual machinery manufacturers – high speeds will disrupt the spread pattern.
Do not …..
- Apply to very cloddy seedbeds or shallow drilled crops
- Apply when top of soil is bone dry in the top 5-8 cms depth (2-3 inches)
- Apply to soils with more than 10% organic matter
- Allow granules from application equipment to fall within in a distance of 10 metre of the top of a bank of a static or flowing water body or within 1 metre of the top of a ditch which is dry at the time of application
- Apply in strong winds as this will disrupt the spread pattern
- Use spinning disc applicator
- Undersow grass species in crops to be treated with Avadex. It is safe to undersow clover and legumes.
- Sow oats or grass crops within one year of applying Avadex
Avadex granules can be used in all varieties of winter and spring wheat and barley, and has EAMUs for winter rye and triticale as well as winter and spring linseed.